- From Ridge to Reef
- Designed for Snorkelers
- Australia: Cruising the Great Barrier Reef
- Bali to Komodo by Boat
- Belize: Snorkeling & Coral Reef Ecology
- Bird's Head Seascape Whale Sharks & More
- Honduras Bay Islands
- Palau: Snorkeling the Rock Islands
- Raja Ampat Archipelago by Liveaboard
- Raja Ampat & Spice Islands Cruise
- Raja Ampat: Snorkeling & Whale Watching
- Solomon Islands by Liveaboard
- Wildlife Encounters
- Scuba & Snorkel Flex Trips
- American Wilderness
- Volunteer Vacations
- Belize: Turneffe Atoll Bottlenose Dolphin Research
- Belize: St. George's Caye Sea Turtle & Manatee Research
- Belize: Coral Reef Monitoring at Turneffe Atoll (scuba)
- Belize: St. George's Caye Coral Reef Research (snorkeling)
- Whales of Guerrero Research Project
- Ulithi Atoll: Community Conservation Program
- Family Trips
- Trip Calendar
- Whale Watching
- Support Us
- About Us
- Contact Us
See below for current job openings.
Office Assistant with Light Bookkeeping
Oceanic Society is a marine conservation organization founded in 1969 and based in Ross, California in Marin County. Our office is located in the non-profit Marin Art & Garden Center.
We looking for an exceptional person to work 30 - 40 hours / week in our very small, but extremely complex and busy office. The schedule is Monday - Friday with occasional Saturdays.
You must love people and their idiosyncrasies, be challenged by puzzles, be able to multi-task with great aplomb, and keep your wits about you when things get crazy!
Light bookkeeping in Quickbooks Online will include entering invoices, posting credit card charges, making bank deposits, writing checks, monitoring and reconciling 3 bank accounts and 2 credit card accounts, managing Paypal and ticketing service income, and other general office tasks as they arise.
Customer service and satisfaction is of the utmost importance to Oceanic Society and applies to each and every interaction we have with our supporters and with each other. Oceanic Society is a dynamic organization leading weekly whale watch trips and numerous international trips throughout the year so there is heavy phone interaction with passengers.
Compensation is hourly with 14 paid holidays, and vacation and sick time after a 90 day probationary period. Medical benefits are not available at this time, but we hope to offer them in the future.
The position reports to the Chief Operations Officer on a daily basis and the full-charge bookkeeper on a weekly basis. Non-profit experience, either as an employee or long-time volunteer, is preferred.
If you think you are the right person for this position, please apply, but first read these requirements which are non-negotiable:
- Must have recent Quickbooks Online experience
- Must have a friendly demeanor at all times, especially on the phone. You will be asked to show us your phone style.
- Must live within a reasonable commute distance, have a car, and be willing to use it for banking for Oceanic Society
- Must be flexible, accurate, and able to roll with changing priorities
- Must be a critical thinker and problem solver, not a problem finder
- Must be willing to pitch in and get the job done, whatever the job may be. We all empty the trash, vacuum, change toner, etc.
- Must have great references which will be checked thoroughly.
Please do not call the office. To apply, send your résumé to email@example.com and please include your hourly wage requirement in your cover letter. Remember, we are a small non-profit.
We look forward to hearing from you. We will only contact qualified individuals, but we thank you in advance for sending your resume. Although the position is available now, the hiring manager will be away for 2 weeks mid-September so the interview process may be drawn out.